Re: Security advice, please

Anne Wilson wrote:
I run chkrootkit daily.  For the first time I've got reports of a problem -

Checking `bindshell'... INFECTED (PORTS:  1008)

The page http://fatpenguinblog.com/scott-rippee/checking-bindshell-infected-
ports-1008/ suggests that this might be a false positive, so I ran 'netstat -
tanup' but unlike the report, it wasn't famd on the port.  It was

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:1008 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3797/rpc.mountd It looks as though certain services are marked as suspicious when they grab port 1008. I tried to find how to restart the service, but without success, but a reboot put rpc.mountd onto another port, and chkrootkit no longer reports a problem. (I had rebooted last evening after an update including a kernel version.)

I think that it really was a false alarm, but I would really like to know how I could restart that service without rebooting. system-config-services didn't do the trick, and I simply didn't know what else to try. In case I meet this again, can you please advise me?

Anne
Anne, I believe an nfs restart should do it - you may consider setting rpc to a specific port in /etc/sysconfig/nfs - plenty of comments in the file to help - this is also useful if you firewall and need to use nfs.
HTH
Rob
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen