Re: Is ext4 safe for a production server?

John R Pierce wrote:
> Mark Caudill wrote:
>> Wait, just to be clear, are you saying that all use of LVM is a bad idea
>> unless on hardware RAID? That's bad it if it's true since it seems to me
>> that most modern distros like to use LVM by default. Am I missing something?
>>

> if LVM is ignoring write barriers, its not a good idea on hardware raid,
> either, at least not for applications that rely on committed writes,
> like transactional databases.

Write barriers are for the case of getting a data guarantee with hard
disks connected via sata/scsi that have their write caches enabled.

Hardware raid + bbu cache change that game. LVM on hardware raid is safe
due to the bbu cache (with write caches on connected hard drives set to off)