Re: ntop from rpmforge

On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Ausmus, Matt wrote:

Anywho, I wanted to post this response to a thread that was created back in November 2008 about the ntop daemon failing to start. I’m currently setting up ntop as a NetFlow & SFlow collector and came across the issue. A quick refresher, the init script for ntop has an issue where it can’t parse the ntop.conf file correctly if switches are entered before the “@/etc/ntop.conf”. The suggested work around was to move the “-d –L” switches from in front of the “@/ etc/ntop.conf” and put them behind it. This is definitely the fix. There is a caveat to that and I haven’t found anyone that has mentioned it so I thought I would. According to the documentation, if you add the switches after the “@/etc/ntop.conf” those will override the configurations in the ntop.conf file. While this isn’t an issue with the “-d” option, if you decide to use a custom syslog level and add it to the conf file, the “-L” switch after the conf file will override your custom log facility. In my init file I left the “-d” but removed the “-L” expecting me to put my own syslog entry in the conf file.

thanks for the report! the appropriate place to report such issues is the RPMforge users' list, <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

i've committed a fix; once the package is rebuilt, it should appear in the repository.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v
http://five.sentenc.es