Re: Yum and upgrading PHP

ML wrote:
Hi Mark,

I tried a yum upgrade php so that I could get to either 5.2 or 5.3
(currently 5.1.2) and It says nothing marked for upgrade.

How does one upgrade individual packages versus doing a plain system
upgrade (like just yum upgrade)
I'm a little confused: why did you do a yum upgrade php after running yum
upgrade; if there was a php package to upgrade in any of the mirrors or
repositories you have allowed, it would have already been upgraded.

Well I thought a yum upgrade would get a php update if it was available, but there was nothing, so I tried a normal yum upgrade php as it would be nice to get to php 5.3.

So must be the mirror I am using doesn't have an upgraded package.
This issue comes up very regularly, I believe there is a 5.2.6 variant of php in the testing repo that I haven't used but others on the list have and so far no bad reports. As this is .el5, the enterprise linux version is does not always have the latest and greatest, but that's the price for tried, tested and true. HTH
-Jason
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob