Re: vsftpd question

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/13/2009 07:16 PM, Victor Subervi wrote:
> Hi;
> I've learned how to add a user and change the root dir of vsftpd (which
> of course is undocumented). Now I need to learn how to make it so that a
> given user can only access his/her folder (within the root dir). Please

not sure what docs you are looking at - but all these things are quite
clearly documented in the vsftpd docs and config files. Start by looking
there.

Well, you all pointed me to some documentation that was hardly worthy of the name. In fact, I'd dare say that "vsftp" stands for "Very SansDocs FTP". I googled and discovered a script for creating and adding users to vsftpd, and how to change the doc root--stuff that should be right up front in any documentation for an ftp server worth the name--but was unsuccessful in finding how to point certain users to certain folders within the doc root.

It almost seems as if you are relying on this list to be your sysadmin
and your sp0onfeeder.

I apologize. It's been several years since I ran a server and I just need to get this server up and running. I'm unfamiliar with the OS, and each OS is different. I'll study the docs after I get up on my feet. And yesterday was an emergency because of my own stupidity. Everyone makes stupid mistakes, even you guys, and everyone has emergencies, so I hope you'll be a little understanding.

eg. Start by indicating what docs you have looked and what is it that
you didnt find.

Again, I googled this. man vsftpd has virtually nothing. Googling "vsftpd docs" gives about as much. Also tried man vsftpd.conf which was much more useful but still didn't provide the information I need, which it seems to me is fundamental! Perhaps I've missed something, and if I have, I apologize in advance.

Also, be considerate and dont top post. if you dont know what that means
- go look it up

I haven't been doing that for quite some time now, except when I'm thanking you all for help, in which case I believe it's easier for all concerned. Do you disagree?
TIA,