Re: Net-SNMP interfaces out of order

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Bob Puff@NLE <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Centos People,

I have a CentOS 5.3 box that had a total of 5 ethernet cards in it.  It
functions to share an internet connection with 4 different subnets.  All
works fine, except I'm noticing that my MRTG traffic graphs are wrong.
Further digging with snmpwalk reveal that the order of the ethernet
interfaces changes every time the machine is rebooted to a different order.

For example, I currently see:

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: lo
IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: eth3
IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: eth4
IF-MIB::ifDescr.4 = STRING: eth0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.5 = STRING: eth1
IF-MIB::ifDescr.6 = STRING: eth2
IF-MIB::ifDescr.7 = STRING: sit0

Why is this not in proper order?  Other servers seem to be ok.  my
snmpd.conf file has little, if anything as far as config.  Is there
something I need to put in there for persistence?

I have found that relying on snmp numbers for interfaces is always tricky. You may be better off addressing them by 'description' as in

Target[mytarget]: \ppp0:public@localhost

in your mrtg.cfg. Check http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html for the whole story.
HTH

--