Re: DNS Serving - Why my own?

ML wrote:
HI All,

Can anyone explain why I might want to run my own DNS Server in-house? I have a comcast business circuit and use their DNS servers and when I need entries, I use GoDaddy where I buy my domains.

Best,
-ML
It depends upon how many PCs / servers you have and what functions these perform. If you only have one or two computers, do not run your own servers then you have no need for your own DNS. If on the other hand you have multiple servers and computer workstations and want to be able to connect to these by name then running DNS makes lots of sense. If you host your own web site and email etc then having your own DNS (or masquerade) saves bandwidth and more particularly time in DNS lookups.
HTH
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob