Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Alan McKay wrote:
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Ron Blizzard <rb4centos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like stability over "cutting edge," so CentOS (with multimedia from
RPMForge)

What are the details on MM from RPMForge?

If I could get my MM working I'd be happy.   I like stability too,
which is why I use it on my servers.   But for desktop use, MM is
pretty much a must-have.  And I've used Fedora for years with no real
issues.  Switched to CentOS for desktop because it is recommended at
my new job.  So I switched at home too.

I have been using CentOS 5.x for MM for the last two years (DVB capture card in a small microATX box) complete with two 500GB SATA drives and two DVD rear/write drives with motherboard audio (stereo and sub). I run mythtv and store capture video local but the myth database is on my home CentOS (of course) server. Getting the initial mythTV installed was difficult but since then despite numerous updates everything just works (TM).
Rob
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob