Re: Apache not liking directories outside of /var/www

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Boris Epstein<borepstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I found an even simplier solution - disabled SELinux. I've got a
> firewall and that is plenty.

No. It's really not. If someone exploits apache, or php, they'll be
coming in via port 80 or 443 which your firewall has helpfully allowed
so that you can run your server. The vast majority of successful
penetrations I've seen are of two types. Brute ssh attacks, and
apache/php exloits.   If you were running mod_security, that might be
slightly more analogous to selinux. I really don't recommend that
people disable selinux simply because they can't be bothered to learn
it.

Real world reasons for selinux on web servers ->
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9176

George Orwell