LDAP howto using ds-base and ds-admin and related consoles

Hi,
I have previously used openLDAP and read many of their howto documents for establishing an LDAP server. RH and CentOS provide <brand>-ds-base and related rpms and I like what I see and read about the product. I found the wiki article on installing the rpms and getting it running on a server - so far so good.
Then I fall into a big hole.
What are the key items that need to be put in place to actually make it useful for my domain? Is there a document somewhere for those of us that want to bridge from openLDAP to the RH based product? I have read many hundreds of pages, have purchased O'reilly's LDAP System Administration but cannot seem to get my dirsrv based LDAP to function. I do understand that ds uses LDIF files to store and set things up, but seem unable to grasp the arcane entries that need to exist so I can access it with a basic LDAP client to load my users etc. Also I guess there are certain schemas that need to be used to allow basic functions to work.
My wish list:
linux user authentication and authorization
windows user authentication and authorization (via samba?)
customer contact list (name, address, company, phone numbers, email addresses) - this last one to be used by Thunderbird and my SIP phone system - both of which profess to speak LDAP I'm sure there are many small business folk that would like something like this, however I cannot find a template with all my searches, so for those of you with better LDAP and or google skills - please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Rob
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen