bizarre firefox/X11 problem on centos 5.3

I set up a Centos5 box at work a week or two ago. Today I had this
bizarre, repeatable problem:

fire up firefox 3.5.1, browse to centos.org, go to the wiki, click the
HOWTO button at the top of the page, and either at that point, or a
moment later when clicking the link for the RAID documents, KABOOOOMMM!!!
X dies and you return to a login prompt. I did it at least three times.

Not nice when I have other windows open with unsaved files open.

This box has some nvidia card or other, but I've NOT installed the
closed nvidia drivers. haven't looked, but I guess that means it's
using the nv driver instead.

Never seen that before, anybody else experienced it?

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------