nfs (v3?) fails to allow writes and permission changes

Hi All,
I have an nfs mount from my CentOS 5.3 client to a CentOS5.3 server. This has been functioning correctly for some years. Beginning last week I had problems saving OpenOffice documents onto the nfs mounted volume.
OpenOffice just times out with a file io error.
So I tried just a simple shell - cd to the mounted volume did a vi create of text file - no problems. tried a chmod +w on an owned file - returned okay but no change to the permissions when checked with ls -l
tried sudo chmod +w on the same file and get
[rkampen@robsws p_494]$ sudo chmod +w 5887_cover.pdf
Password:
chmod: changing permissions of `5887_cover.pdf': Operation not permitted
yet using gnome file browser I can change permissions on these nfs mounted files just fine - go figure.

This did work in the past - so what has changed?
how do I check what version of nfs is actually working?

[rkampen@robsws p_494]$ mount
192.168.230.230:/NDG on /NDG type nfs (rw,noatime,intr,addr=192.168.230.230)

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rob
begin:vcard