Re: Dag's comment at linuxtag

Dag Wieers napsal(a):> > The difference is that you can only install one distribution, but you can > install tons of incompatible repositories.> > And the believe that one repo will rule them all (which is what Fedora and > EPEL wants you to believe) is just debunked by yourself above :-)> > The most important reason I still have RPMforge is because I don't want to > let my users down because there is no real upgrade path (the fact that you > for some reason need RPMforge is the proof).> > If the last user wants to turn off the light, then I know I can start > doing something else ;-)> > PS To be honest, we could use some more people that want to help, if > something is missing or not being maintained, offer to maintain it !> But don't expect me (or dries, christoph, fabian, ...) to fix it because > that simply *does* *not* *scale*.> > PS2 I discussed with christoph to set up a proper project management > system that would encourage collaboration more. But we don't need more > bugs, we need more people to help fix bugs, really.
I'd like to say this. Dag et al have done wonderful job and I thank youfor it Dag. But we (the community, fellow I know, myself) have beenwanting and willing to cooperate on much huge basis, I personally feelthis way. I'm talking about rpmrepo.org project. I guess Dag's interestin this project was driven by the problems with his repo too which someof you are complaining about. The aim was to create platform, notstrictly focused on enterprise. We wanted create something mixed.Something with enterprise, testing, backport levels and efforts. Theproject has been started but never really haven't happened.
So we have centosplus and extras which are the repos with "accessdenied" for packages inclusion. Dag's rpmforge which is so huge with alot of dependencies not suitable for "testing/bleeding edge/alternative"packages. So what's the suitable repo? That's why people are going torun own repos.... :o( I do it myself.