Re: Question about dd (fill a hard disks' unused space with blanks)

In my previous experience, zeroing the disk will result in smaller files for G4U but it will take awhile depending on many factors including the size of the disk, performance, etc..

Also, I recommend giving Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) a try.  It offers more options than G4U and is more efficient in my experience.

Matt

--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10

mccarrms@xxxxxxxxx
mccarrms@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 07.06.2009 um 18:22 schrieb Niki Kovacs:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently experimenting with G4U (Ghost for Unix), a small cloning
> application sending disk images to an FTP server.
>
> The application reads the whole disk bit by bit, compresses it and
> then
> stores it remotely. Due to this approach, it's more or less
> filesystem-independent. The drawback is that it sometimes results in
> huge image files.
>
> Now I'm currently following a hint which suggests to fill the disks'
> unused space with zero bits. Here's the command for that:
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M
> # rm /0bits

This will create a file that fills up the root-partition.
If you have multiple partitions beyond that, it's not of much use.
Ideally, the zero'ing of the disk should take place before the OS is
installed, via a boot-cd and using dd with the disk-device itself

All this made some sense when disks didn't come in sizes of 250GB
upwards...
If you get 20MB/s from your dd(1), it would take 1000 seconds to fill
20 GB...

Rainer