Re: Can't play DVD movies on CentOS 5.3 after following guidance on the wiki

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 at 1:06pm, MHR wrote

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

What version of mplayer are you using (and from what repo)?  The CentOS
version doesn't help too much, as mplayer isn't included in any of the
default repos.  And this doesn't appear to be a very recent feature
(googling reveals references to it that are over a year old).

You made me look, and I found that I was missing a couple of packages.
I now have:

mplayer-fonts-1.1-3.0.rf.noarch
mplayerplug-in-3.55-1.el5.rf.x86_64
mplayer-skins-1.8-1.nodist.rf.noarch
mplayer-1.0-0.40.rc1try2.el5.rf.x86_64
mplayerplug-in-3.55-1.el5.rf.i386
mplayer-docs-1.0-0.40.rc1try2.el5.rf.x86_64

These are the most recent imports from rpmforge.

That may be, but that's actually a *very* old version of mplayer. The most recent "release" of mplayer is 1.0rc2, and *that's* dated 10/7/07 (see <http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/ChangeLog>). Most folks run SVN snapshots of mplayer -- rpmfusion's package for Fedora, e.g., is a SVN snapshot from 9/3/08. And even that is too old for a lot of things. For my HTPC, e.g., I compiled mplayer from my own SVN checkout so I could use VDPAU, which only got added within the last few months.

BUT:  I looked again, and the man page remains the same....  I even
checked the mplayer home site, and neither option is mentioned in
their documentation.

I see -heartbeat-cmd on <http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html>.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain