Re: X11 on 5.3 not ALWAYS autologin

On Fri, May 29, 2009, Jerry Geis wrote:
>I think what is happening is UNKOWN keys are continuously getting
>spit out. So error keycodes perhaps stops the autologin process.
>
>I get many errors about unknown key pressed released for
>e03e, e03f, e014.
>
>This is a new HP HDX18 laptop. Thought it was a regular looking
>keyboard layout.
>
>Anyone ran into this?

Probably not as autologin is an extremely Bad Idea(tm),
particularly for laptops as it allows anybody who can turn the
power on access to the machine.

Bill

Actually  auto login is an extremely nice feature when it is done correctly.
I was trying to be brief and save bandwith as to WHY I want to autologin.
It is not for my personal laptop of course I would not do that. This is for a demostration
laptop and I dont think some sales people have the ability to login to a laptop and remember the
user id and password. SO to make things easy for them I have the laptop autologin.

There are no trade secrets on the laptop, nothing anyone wants I just want it to correctly
auto login.

So I was hoping some else had perhaps ran into this issue or might shed some light on it.

Thanks all,

Jerry