Re: Auto-installing security updates?

Sorin Srbu wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf
Of William L. Maltby
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2009 2:24 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re:  Auto-installing security updates?

Probably not the best distro for Laptops,
but many people on this list are using CentOS on their laptops.
So what's considered to be the "best" choice for laptops? I understand
mileage may vary and so on, but I think there might maybe be a general
consensus at least?
 ^^^^^^^^^

Not likely on this list. More likely, a "preponderance", maybe even a
"majority", but I wouldn't be surprised if even those aren't achieved.
BTW, "general" is redundant with "consensus".

I'm sorry. I'm not a native English speaker or writer.

Ok, so what would you guys suggest using on a laptop, if CentOS was not an
option? I read in an earlier post where somebody suggested chosing distro
based on the hardware. Suppose this hardware is a Dell Latitude a few years
old, with no built-in wifi, but rather either a Dlink DFE-680TXD or a 3com
3CRWE154G72.
Sorin,
I have installed and used CentOS on laptops just fine. The last two even had the internal wireless work without effort. You may need to do some work to get the wireless functioning okay - NetworkManager seems to help if you use both wired and wireless. For me the advantage of using CentOS is that all machines have the same stuff in the same place, so I do not waste time looking for files and trying to work out how Ubuntu or whatever distro does something. Also, I keep a local mirror of updates so I only need to use bandwidth once to get my updates. I used to use Fedora, but got annoyed at having to do complete updates every 12 ~ 18 months. I'd just try it and see, one can always grab another distro if CentOS is really too difficult to get functioning.
Rob
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob