Re: Auto-installing security updates?

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
Equinox86 wrote:
yes centos is not for desktop it's guaranteee, if you don't have much time
and want a distro updated at last release, if you have much time to spend to
recompile dependences i advice use slackware, is fast and desktop friendly,
similar to swiss knife.

I still call this bullshit. CentOS is perfect for a Desktop which is
used for Mail, Web and writing Office documents. Much better than all
the distributions which you have to completely update every year or so.

Ralph
I have installed CentOS 5.2 on two different laptops (Sony Vaio and a Dell D610), one for my wife and another for my daughter after both machines got infected with XP junk - both installed without a hitch, found the wireless etc. I then upgraded to 5.3 with an initial "yum update glib*" and then just "yum update". I install OpenOffice V3 via their rpm (normally remove CentOS version manually as V3 reads the latest windoze versions of word and excel
that people insist on sending me)
I also use the CentOSplus kernel for reasons I cannot remember - something to do with video / DVD / multimedia Then add things like flash and adobe reader, Xine, VLC media player so that they can do the usual internet download and watch clips etc. I think CentOS works just fine for workstations AND laptops - The initial setup is more laborious than some other distros due to needing to add rpmforge (and possibly EPEL) and needing to load the required bits by hand -but once done - enjoy all the things we love about CentOS!
YMMV but I'm a committed user with 9 CentOS machines and growing.
I do upgrades remotely via ssh sometimes, but as I normally see these machines regularly tend to do it when in front of the machine.
Kind regards
Rob
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen