Re: 5.3 Update Success

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Tim Nelson <tnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings CentOS Team-

Since the list tends to be filled with "things don't work" and "why did you do it this way" and "complaint X", I thought I'd make a small deviation...

I have a production system running on a Dell Poweredge 2650 server. I simply ran 'yum update' and rebooted with no problems. Everything continues to work as rock solid as before.

So, I just wanted to say 'Thank You' to all those who put in such hard work into the CentOS project. The time between releases was not a problem here. If it was, I guess I'd just ask for a refund. :-)

--Tim

Had I yum updated on my desktop computer I believe everything would have been fine (as it was on my laptop). But I tried the Update path from the DVD first, without doing any preparation or reading and, though it booted fine, a lot of my programs failed -- even Firefox until I ran yum update. Fortunately I had backed everything up -- and I had a couple issues that made a clean install a good idea anyhow. The clean install went flawlessly.

Only thing... I tried to like the new wallpaper, but eventually Googled and found the old version. I just like the plain CentOS 5 wallpaper better. (Yeah, I'm bland.)

Thanks to everyone.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3