Re: [OT] Network switches

Look there really are 3 tiers for network equipment. The first two
tiers all give wire speed performance and have managed layer 2 and 3
options. The last tier is for consumer home use.

Tier 1 might have high-end Cisco, Juniper or Nortel (and others) that
have modular enclosures redundant power supplies and heavenly price
tags. These are typically used in large enterprises that can afford
them.

Tier 2 might have Dell Powerconnects and HP Procurves and Cisco 2000
series products. These are good stable well performing products and
are gobbled up in heaps by small and medium businesses. These are the
usual choice for small enterprises and come in managed and unmanaged,
layer 2 of layer 3, power over Ethernet of not or a combination of
those.

Tier 3 contain your Linksys, DLink and Zyxel brand products. They
basically just get the job done, but might need reset every now and
then and probably can't run more then 2 ports at a full 1GBe
simultaneously. They are for home use and are prices as such. Some
will be better then others and some might be very good, but they are
not designed for business use and thus shouldn't be used as such.

-Ross

I had a reseller in here yesterday, and apparently the linksys (higher end) lines are being merged into the cisco lines. So the linksys gear will just be branded Cisco. I am not sure if this is all linksys gear, or just what they cal the higher end stuff. But I am trying to confirm from a cisco rep. Wonder how it will effect the above mentioned tiers which in general were true.