LDAP proxy

List,

I have a challenge with some LDAP servers:

I am in the process of converting from physical LDBM backends to virtualized
BDB backends.

Problem is that there are a lot of clients connecting to this ldap instance
(with updates), so i do not want to inform them that our ldap server is
offline for a maintenance window...

I would like to have a solution which does some form of caching until the
new instances are online and then flush the updates to the new instance..

Does anyone have a clue on how to do this, or a better solution to my
problem ?