Re: JOB: *nix (pref CentOS or RH) Sysadmin with "good" MySQL skills (Reading, UK) [previously advertised as MySQL database architect]

hi List Members - following on from my previous post (below) and ashift in my clients internal requirements - where the emphasis is nolonger on recruiting someone into a design role, although this *may* bethere in the future for someone to grow into - the client would like tohire instead a *nix sysadmin (pref CentOS or RH) that has good MySQLskills,  other DB skills, e.g. Oracle, are no longer a substitute as thefocus is once again more on someone who can improve the client'sexisting systems.
Please contact me off list (using james@xxxxxxxxxxx) for furtherdetails.
all the best,JAMES

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 21:26 +0000, jt@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:> JOB:> > hi List,> > My name is James and I'm an open source recruiter currently working with> a client in Reading (Berkshire, UK) who are looking to recruit a> database architect (experience with MySQL is not necessarily what the> client are looking for, although the database architect should certainly> be familiar with MySQL.  What’s more important is that the DBA should> have experience designing large, replicated, globally distributed> databases built for performance).> > The DB Architect will work closely with the development and operations> teams - both of which are growing parts of the clients overall> business.  > > Whilst the developers have had some involvement with capacity planning> and performance monitoring of the live system in conjunction with the> Operations team this responsibility will move entirely to the database> architect over time.> > This isn't a development role so the db architect wouldn't be taking> over the writing of all SQL or anything (which would be impractical in> any case) but they would be expected to use their expertise in advising> the developers how best to tune their code.  Stored procedures are not> currently used but they will probably look at it in the future and this> again would be something that the architect would certainly get involved> in as well as requirement to revisit existing SQL with a view to perhaps> rewrite and/ or optimise. > > They are running a mixture of MySQL 4.1 and 5.0. They don't run> enterprise as they always aim to employ talented staff so they can> support everything as far as possible in house. This goes for the OS as> well, which is why they use CentOS and not RHEL.>        > Although as part of the role's remit will be to find new opportunities> to exploit new features or better use existing ones there are no> immediate plans to upgrade to 5.1 as they are quite happy for early> adopters to find and fix the bugs before they make any decision on it. > > Currently there are no specific bottlenecks or db problems as such, the> focus is changing in such a way that they need to be able to store more> data and consequently they need to have the architect in place.> However, although there are no specific issues, there is also a focus on> continual improvement of what they have. As with all IT systems, there> is always something that can be optimised. Identifying potential future> bottlenecks and avoiding them is also part of the role.> > In terms of the number of high transactional servers - which would be> the definite focus - we are looking at high 30s.  They do use MySQL> replication but not clustering at this time.> > If anybody is interested in discussing this role with me further> (including salary) please contact me off list using james@xxxxxxxxxxx> > Please understand that I did also send an email requesting permission to> send this e-mail to the Centos list owners - but have had no reply or> acknowledgement. > > All the best,> JAMES> > >> to learn more about Camalyn please visit http://www.camalyn.org> >