Re: 4 X 500 gb drives - best software raid config for a backup server?

Would running two CP command to copy 2 different set of files to two
different targets suffice as a basic two thread test?
So long as you generate disk access through a file system and not hdparm.
Is there a way to monitor actual disk transfers from command line without
having to do manual timing?
Like I said: iostat

iostat -m 1
iostat -x 1
iostat -d 1
iostat -xm 1

Choose whatever information/data you fancy.

In fact, let me just post some iostat output to settle this once and for all. I shall risk the annoyance of all by attaching the output of a 'iostat -m sda sdb md1 1' command.

This was generated by a single Linux client connected via cifs do a cp -r off the cifs remote share to local disk. The output was generated on the remote share box.