Re: Installing CentOS security updates to RHEL machines? (RHN subscription expired)

Alexander Farber wrote:
Has anybody have been in a similar situation and figured
out a good way to make "yum update" on RHEL machines
to work against CentOS repositories?

The CentOS repositories are just a YUM repository. Simply add the '.repo' file to your '/etc/yum.repos.d/' folder. You will also need to change the '$releasever' to just '5' as rhel uses 'server5'. I just tested this on a minimal install of RHEL 5.2. Be warned that any updated versions of the RPMs will be overridden by the CentOS RPMs, which did include the kernel. Yum is fairly flexible this way. I am not sure how flexible the rhel update plugin will be if you eventually renew your subscription and try to go back, though.

Kenneth