Re: disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Ray Leventhal <centos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Please pardon my newbie-ness on this issue....I've a / partition which is
full (quite suddenly, actually) and I'm not sure how to fix this.

I've searched for uneeded logs, etc in /var/log and /tmp to no avail. The
system is CentOS 5.2 and is not connected to the internet, serves as a local
LAN server running stock stuff...sendmail, dovecot, apache..nothing strange
or special going on.

I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order (would
appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really stumped as to
where the space is being eaten up.

Thanks in advance,
-Ray
<snip>
Do a search for coredump file (i.e. run updatedb && locate core.*) -
they can often fill up the HDD very quicly if something coredumps.

Thanks, Rudi...I hadn't thought of that. The results, however, weren't overly helpful for this issue in this case.

I had about 11M of core dumps from March in the samba/cores directory

The big deal here is that the system is choking...any advice on finding what's making it choke and/or relieving the strain on / would be appreciated.
Again, my thanks,
-Ray