RE: XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Sorin Srbu wrote:

So which fs is preferred when, any rule of thumb one should know of? Pointers
gratefully accepted.

TIA.

A good rule of thumb, for me anyways, is don't mess with the stock distro unless you absolutely need to, otherwise you're just asking for trouble. When the decision was made by the USP not to support all these file systems it was for good reason. In *most* cases EXT3 works just fine.

In my case it doesn't (medical imaging data/big data) and so I use XFS. I'm ready to troubleshoot it myself if need be though.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director

To make a mistake is human.
To blame it on others... that's management material!