Re: XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:46:00PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
Ray Van Dolson wrote:
Hi folks... trying to pick between jfs and xfs for a filesystem.  In
the past we've used jfs with CentOS + centosplus, however, ...
CentOS and its upstream source, RHEL, support ex3fs. I'm not sure why you'd want to use anything else. If you have a specific requirement for JFS, I'd suggest running a BSD or AIX system where JFS is native... If you need XFS, I'd run a Linux distribution that supports it natively.

If you roll your own hybrid operating system, you get to test and validate it, and if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

Thanks for the reply John.  However, my question wasn't so much "if I
should" but how the xfs support in CentOS compares to jfs.  It seems to
me that xfs is a bit more up-to-date.

If you'd like, consider the question academic vs giving me a
recommendation that pushes me down the path of unsupported filesystem
doom. :-)

I've been using XFS on centos for a couple of years with no problems. Only minor annoyance was when the kmod for new kernels was slow to appear, but thats not a problem any more due to the non kernel version dependant kmods.

Dunc