Re: is udev necessary?

Rudi Ahlers schreef:
Unfortunately I don't see anything useful in the logs. If I let it
bootup by itself, then it reboots just after booting udev. If,
however, I press CTRL+C the moment I see udev on the screen, I have
attached a snippet from /var/log/message - which doesn't show me
anything at all.
Indeed - I see some error messages about memory being assign to weird places and ata1 claiming to be a dummy... But nothing that should warrant something like a reboot...

I did however see some Xen messages. I am no expert so I can't see if this is a hypervisor kernel or a virtual machine kernel. If you are not planning on using the machine for or in an Xen environment, you could try to switch to a regular one (even if it is for testing). I have had some strange behaviour from systems which reacted poorly to virtualisation software (most of those get fixed but they can send you into the wrong direction).

Another thing that came to mind was that udev might finish properly but the next task might crash the system. I would however expect something in the message output. Did you check if the udev service claimed to be started if you ctrl+c out of it? Its unlikely but can't hurt to test.

If all else fails, you could probably disable udev for now and check if everything is working (make sure you don't need pluggable device support, otherwise you really do need udev). Plan B would be to Google for a debugging mode in udev - unless someone on the list knows how to activate that. My guess would be to edit the udev script and pass something to the program (most of the time its something like '-v' or '-vv' or '-d' or something - look for verbose or debug options).

Good luck,
Berend