Re: CPU benchmarking tools

Benchmarks are worthless - your apps count.
Benchmark your applications. Period.

i dont think thats completely true as we would like to benchmark the 6 core (dunnington), intel 4 core (harpertown) vs AMD shanghai, AMD Barcelona – as the disk / networking devices are handled by dom0, those elements won’t be as applicable as we’re looking mostly at the hardware enhancements in relation to page fault handling and TLB look-up speed, that the AMD Shanghai boasts about.

We wouldn't be benching I/O as that would increase the variability, which is why you wouldn't bother doing it; those kind of microbenchmark's would be applicable more for physical to virtualization microbencharks for linear regression calculations like:

U1/dom0 = c0 + c1 * M1/1 + c2 * M1/2 + ... + c11 * M1/11 etc

We're only interested in really the hardware benefits of the virtualization techniques in relation to the different cpu type. We're not interested exactly in the fact that it's virtualized, but knowing it's virtualized and process x has caused an interrupt, which has resulted in a page fault, which has made a TLB reference, which has resulted in paging etc, and has taken X period. If the Core improvements have said that page fault handles are processed quicker and TLB references have increased, then you should notice a big difference between VM1 in one environment without those to VM2 running with those hardware enhancements.