Re: Re: Virtual NICs (aliases like eth0:1) won't come up after reboot

Tony Mountifield wrote:
Hmmm, in a previous post you said you had multiple aliases and three errors.
But above, you have only posted one main device and one alias. Are they ones
that succeed of fail?
Every one of them fails except eth0 itself (which is good or I would have locked myself out).
The reason I said to use "head -20" and "ifcfg-eth0*" was that if you used
that command literally, it would (a) output ALL eth0 aliases, and (b) prepend
each one automatically with a filename header, assuming there is more than
one file.
I used the GUI to create the interfaces: the files are not called 'ifcfg-eth0:1' etc but they are named. But I get your point so heres the full listing:

[root@hagrid ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:1
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=10.1.1.128
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:2
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=87.233.68.195
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes

# Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
DEVICE=eth0:3
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=87.233.68.194
BROADCAST=87.233.68.223
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
NETWORK=87.233.68.192
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes
ONBOOT=yes

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:4
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=87.233.68.196
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes
ONBOOT=yes

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:5
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=87.233.68.197
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes
ONBOOT=yes

# Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=87.233.3.255
HWADDR=00:0C:29:26:D9:E6
IPADDR=87.233.3.247
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
NETWORK=87.233.3.240
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=87.233.3.241
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0

# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

I went over the configs a couple of times and the last attempt to restart one interface using ifup and ifdown did not show that error (and the interfaces come up) - a full networking restart gives those errors and once again the aliasses don't come up. Even though the networking script says [OK] for each interface... I'm confused...

Berend