Re: Hiding Files in Samba

I may need a strong shot of coffee but I though
putting "hide files = /~*/" as follows in the samba config file would hide files with a tilde.

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   hide files = /~*/

Unfortunately after restarting the server the files
are still visible.
If you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files, they will appear in a dim color.

Quoting from the book "Using Samba" at http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_02.html

«
Instead of simply hiding files beginning with a dot, you can also specify a string pattern to Samba for files to hide, using the |hide| |files| option. For example, let's assume that we specified the following in our example |[data]| share:

[data]
hide files = /*.java/*README*/

"If we want to prevent users from seeing files at all, we can instead use the |veto| |files| option. This option, which takes the same syntax as the |hide| |files| option, specifies a list of files that should never be seen by the user. For example, let's change the |[data]| share to the following:

[data]
veto files = /*.java/*README*/

»