Re: Tired of Fedora, shopping for a new OS. Upgrade from F8 ? CentOS kernel versions ?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Linuxguy123 wrote:

 b) One of the things I really need are up to date (bleeding edge)
 kernels.  For example, F8 has 2.6.26 kernels, whereas CentOS appears to
 be running 2.6.18 kernels.  I do know how to build my own kernels, but
 that is a pain.

 Does someone keep a separate repository that has more modern kernels ?
 Can yum be configured to use only specific packages (ie kernels) from a
 specific repository ?

Why not step up and offer to maintain a bleeding edge kernel in the centos-plus repos ?

That would not be a bad idea. I always wondered how well a recent kernel would work with CentOS 5, but I never took the time to test a Fedora kernel on my dependable boxes.

A project with this focus might indeed be useful.

--
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --