Re: Recommended Configuration Control Software?

On 27 Oct 2008, at 15:56, Jeremiah Heller wrote:

On 17 Oct 2008, at 09:41, Sean Carolan wrote:

We have several dozen production Linux servers and I would like to
have better control over what files are changed, by whom, when they
were changed, etc.  Because these are all production servers that are
in use 24x7, we do not have the luxury of simply doing a clean build,
taking md5sums of each file, and then doing fresh installations.  I
need a system that can take in-place snapshots of each server's
configuration files, store them in some kind of database or text file,
and notify me whenever something changes.

I've used tripwire in the past - do you have any other recommendations
for this type of project?
you might want to look at dconf, from http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dconf/ . probably not hard to script something to notify you when a new snapshot is taken.
[snip]...

You can configure dconf to run from cron on an hourly, daily, weekly or monthly basis and, in case of changes, have it send out a mail.

probably easier to read what I posted and see email notification is a configurable option :P

Dconf allows you to go back in time, compare older snapshots, rollback changes or even compare systems with basic text-oriented tools.
=====

Jeremiah