cpan2rpm and alternatives

>cpan2rpm is getting relatively old, compared to some of the newer
>things that can be done with the CPAN and RPM build procedures.  The
>latest version isn't available on its sourceforge site and the

What are the newer procedures?  I'll be needing to do this in the very near
future.

I was contemplating writing some sort of yum plugin or external utility that
can leverage whatever current procedures exist and register a CPAN install
in the RPM database... but I'm not sure it is worth the effort and I do
realize that breaks the whole Centos testing and reliability model.  Still,
there are some functions cannot be found in the usual places that do exist
in CPAN.

-geoff