Re: Re: Replacement for Intel SDS2 Motherboard

Title: Signature Card JEP
What case form factor are you looking for, I may have a new IBM under warranty that I can sell to you for what you are looking to spend...

All Xeons

john plemons

Scott Silva wrote:
on 10-21-2008 11:18 AM Camron W. Fox spake the following:

Alle,

    We have recently had one of our office servers go south. The
hardware was an Intel SDS2 motherboard (EATX), Dual Intel PIII 1.4GHz
FC-PGA2-L2 512KB, 3GB (6x512MB) 168 pin DIMM, SDRAM 133MHz/PC-133-ECC
with 1x3Ware 7006-2 and 2x3Ware 7506-4LP RAID controllers. The OS was
RHEL3. Apparently, according to the beep codes, there has been an FRB
failure.
    I've migrated most of the services
(mail,web,proxy,samba,mysql,mailman,home directories) to an interim box
running CentOS 5.2.
    At a minimum, I need to replace the motherboard and CPUS (I'm told
they are unrecoverable). All the remaining hardware I plan to re-use, as
well as moving from RHEL to CentOS.
    Does anyone have any recommendations on replacement motherboards
with CentOS 5.2 in mind, along with the re-usable hardware requirements?

Best Regards,
Camron

I have doubts that you will be able to re-use memory, unless you can find
something in old stock somewhere. No new boards use PC-133 memory that I know
of. But 3 gigs of new memory are *relatively* inexpensive. If the raid cards
are PCI, they should still be usable. The case might be usable, if you can
find EATX motherboard. IMHO a server is too critical a piece of hardware to
re-use parts unless it is a spare or secondary backup point.

By the specs, that server has probably already served for 5 years or more.
If you are willing to use refurbished parts you can look here;

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=G7ESZ-WB-R&cat=MBB

Or if your budget can go higher

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SE7501BR2-KIT-R&cat=MBB

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SE7501CW2-K2&cat=MBB

John Plemons
Electro Mavin Tennessee for website
423-746-2846 ( 423-74-MAVIN ) - Local
888-756-2846 ( 888-75-MAVIN ) - Toll Free
423-746-2692 FAX
eMail john@xxxxxxxxx