Re: cannot start Mysql

William L. Maltby wrote:
On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:38 +0100, Duncan wrote:
Obantec Support wrote:
rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
is installed

Yum install mysql-server

That makes me think OP did a yum install mysql instead of a yum group
install. Per the output in my previous post, default packages for the
*group* include mysql-server. If my assumption is correct, he'll
probably hit more stumbling blocks, depending on what he's doing
ultimately, as other parts of a default install will likely be missing
too. Might be better to unstall (that *ought* to be a valid word, huh?
Would save typing.  :-) and do a group install to get a good starting
point.
You might making it a lot more complicated than need be.

For most uses, just the mysql-server package (and any dependencies yum brings in) will be fine.

(waits to be shot down by a very specific or complicated use from the OP that requires the group install..)

Dunc