Re: ls and rm: "argument list too long"

On Oct 17, 2008, at 7:58 PM, thad wrote:

Satchel Paige  - "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck
<l.wandrebeck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/10/17 Jussi Hirvi <greenspot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Since when is there a limit in how long directory listings CentOS can show (ls), or how large directories can be removed (rm). It is really annoying to
say, for example

  rm -rf /var/amavis/tmp

and get only "argument list too long" as feedback.

Is there a way to go round this problem?

I have CentOS 5.2.

- Jussi
try something like:
for i in /var/amavis/tmp/*
do
  rm -rf $i
done

it should be:

for i in `ls  /var/amavis/tmp`
do
rm $i
done

Taking into account the valid objections others have mentioned, such as problems of embedded whitespace in names, rm -rf $i and rm $i above are not the same. Even if there are no directories under the /var/amavis/tmp/, depending on aliases, etc, rm $i may prompt you for confirmation. the other will go ahead and do the remove if you have permission to do it (or at least the -f).

The -r for files is unnecessary, and offends me when I see people do it, but doesn't really cause any harm :)

I personally either rm -rf directory, and recreate the directory if necessary, or do a find /var/amavis/tmp -type f ... because of experience through the years with too long of command lines. Unixes in the past had even smaller limits. xargs most frequently, and if things fail, I may just do -exec rm -f {} \; on the find.