Re: More Samba Questions

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
I have never setup a Samba server, and the recent thread here prompted to
get on this I need to migrate two XP machines from using iSCSI to Samba.

I thought the "+" preceding a username in the smb.conf file for a
share definition told Samba to use the unix username? Unless I actually
use swat to create and enable the user and take off the + it doesn't work.

Any ideas what swat does when you create a user through that interface?

Is there any way to simply force Samba to use locally created users in the
share definition?

I've always had to use

   smbpasswd -a unixusername

then give them a password for smb use... the catch-22 is that SMB uses a completely different password hash algorithm than Unix/Linux /etc/passwd(shadow) passwords, so you can't use the one for the other. Its much much easier if you use a central authentication database like LDAP (or if its already in use at the site, Active Directory).