Re: Samba 3.0.28/3.0.32

Spike Turner wrote:
I've looked at the CentOS docs-list as well as the Wiki as I was interested in Samba.

On one CentOS box I've got 3.0.32 (the latest bug-fixed version from Samba.org)
and on another I've got 3.0.28 (the latest from upstream). The docs look almost the same and the docs refer to security = share. However 3.0.32 comes with a blank smb.conf making it harder to get a secure server up and running.

Is there a plan for a quick and dirty guide on the Wiki for setting up Samba
with secure settings as well as TDB rather than deprecated settings?

FWIW (about what you paid), I've often used SWAT to setup my Samba initial configuration.

yum install samba-swat, then edit /etc/xinetd.d/swat and put a # in front of 'disable = yes', save this file, service xinetd reload, and then use a browser to connect to http://localhost:901 log on as root, and fill out the forms

(if you want to manage swat from a seperate workstation, # out the only_from line too, or add your LAN ip or cidrrange, seperated by a space
example:
   only_from     = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24
would allow localhost or anyone on the 192.168.0.0/24 network to access swat)

I know a lot of folks disparage swat, but its a lot easier than remembering all the obscure settings in the smb.conf files when you've got better things to do.