Re: Update troubles for wxGTK apps

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Niki Kovacs wrote:

John a écrit :

 I do not and did not mean to be offensive to Dag, and I apologize if I
 was--it just seemed like an issue that would be affecting a lot more
 people
 than just me and I wanted to see what others were doing about it.
 So far I've not heard what that is.

I second that. Dag is doing great work, and for desktop users, CentOS wouldn't be the same without RPMForge. However, this update has been botched up. Existing systems can be left in the present state by putting an 'exclude=wxGTK amule vlc audacity' line in /etc/yum.conf. But when installing a new system, 'yum install vlc audacity' does not work. This is a worry for me, as I install desktop systems professionally, and I use both programs on client's desktops (yes, amule too, when the client wants it... :o)). As far as I'm concerned, I worked around it by simply rebuilding wxGTK (2.6), amule, vlc and audacity from SRPM and putting them in my own repo with a higher priority. This took the best part of an afternoon.

My suggestion to Dag (with all respect taken): why not create a [rf-testing] repo for the critical stuff, a bit like [kbsingh]?

Because I have no time for it. It is as simple as that.

And I prefer stop doing RPMforge than to spend more of my free time. rpmrepo was going to be RPMforge's successor (ATrpms, RPMforge, CentOS, all-in-one and community-based), but there is no progress there and that's why I am still here.

Currently, what I build is what becomes available. Often there is a delay because I want to make the repo as consistent as can be, but if a single package is holding back too many other packages I prefer to break the repo (I am using apt, apt can handle dependency-issues with no problem).

If someone want to step up and become a gatekeeper between a testing repository and a real rpmforge repository and shift the packages between, by all means do that and if it works, great. But I won't be doing that work and handle that complexity. I want to reduce the free time I spend maintaining packages I don't even use myself, not increase that time.

In this case audacity does not build against wxGTK 2.8.8, at least not on my system and nobody offered any help so far. A compat-wxGTK could be the solution, although compat-packages have a tendency to break even more with other repositories (and sadly Fedora opted NOT to follow Mandriva's lead in sensible package-names for libraries).

So that's the official word.

PS No waranties implied. No refund :-/

--
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --