Re: Multiple Linux instances on the same box - dual/triple/etc boot ?

I much prefer using the free VMware server for development and
testing different OS versions.  It's far more difficult to screw
the pooch using virtual machines, and one can always make snapshots
before upgrades or major changes making it easy to undo the
changes and try again.  I find this invaluable when testing major
software installations.

Yes, this seems like a case where virtualisation is a good solution. I've only just started learning to run Xen myself, but the advantages of virtualisation over dual/triple booting etc are pretty clear. As well as the ones you mention, different machines can also be run concurrently and networked.