Re: Run a more recent kernel than 2.6.18 on CentOS?

Akemi Yagi wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Usually I'm not one to complain about "old" version of the CentOS kernel
and/or software, since I appreciate CentOS' stability. So this might be the
exception that confirms the rule. I've been jumping through several burning
loops these past days to configure my little MSI Wind netbook, and I'm
currently considering going for a more recent kernel. There's no way the
Ralink driver for the wireless card will build on an older kernel than
2.6.22, apparently.

(snip)
I'm prepared to do some tinkering, but in the meanwhile, can you give some
basic recommendations or caveats? This is not our production database
server, so it's not a big deal if it's a little bit less stable.

Niki

PS: with similar requests, folks usually suggest I run Fedora. So let me
state: I like CentOS. I don't want to run Fedora.

There is a CentOS kernel 2.6.24 for testing purposes built by Johnny
Hughes.  Take a look at this forum thread for details:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11583&forum=45&post_id=54048#forumpost54048

Oh, why couldn't it be 2.6.27. Then I would have the patch I need?

But then, reading up on this kernel, my other drivers like dkms probably won't work.....