Re: Kernel source - linux -2.6.18 i386 or i686

Akemi Yagi wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now I remember this one.  I believe you got this one answered that
time.  The patch cannot be directly applied to the CentOS kernel
because it was written for the vanilla kernel.

Not just vanilla kernel but rather "more recent or newer kernel".
No. It was written for the 2.6.18 kernel. But I think it was written a few patches back. The patch author has a patch for pretty much all the kernels up to 2.6.26, as BEET is now officially in 2.6.27. But my first hunch was that he did this for the 2.6.18 kernel in FC6 that does not have all the patches that are in RHEL 5.2 (and thus Centos 5.2), and so his patches were off.

Then last night I thought, well there are these two directories under kernel-2.6.18 and which one is being used? Now I see that I had used both of them and it made no difference. Thus going back to my earlier thoughts about being a patch for this kernel, but not at the patch-point this kernel is at.

I have found a number of problems with the HIPL code that the developers are working to correct. I think becuase they had gotten focused on HIP over IPv4 and had let the IPv6 side slide a bit. The NETBSD developers claim that their code is ready, but that would be a bigger switch for me than going to FC8 where most of the HIPL development is being done...