Re: Java install

Ric Moore wrote:
While using Fedora, I always used java straight from Sun. What is
recommended for CentOS?? Getting jetty, java and other java apps working
correctly has been a real chore. If I used nothing but RPMs for CEntOS,
would I have a real working java install? I need some help on this one
badly. Ric

For your sanity's sake, I'd recommend just dropping the Sun binary(ies) under /usr/java/java-version-number and use explicit paths and JAVA_HOME and CLASSPATH settings when starting the programs. Otherwise you'll have trouble if you need more than one jvm version. The Sun RPM package doesn't set up the expected symlinks that the alternatives system uses and the Centos repos don't have a copy that works either. There are some other RPM-packaged versions around but they may or may not do the right thing with alternatives and even if they do, that scheme can only work with one jvm version at a time.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx