Re: PCI SATA Controller Recommendations?

Am 10.09.2008 um 19:17 schrieb Tim Nelson:

Hello fellow listers...

I'd like to get some recommendations on a good SATA controller for use with CentOS 5.x. It should be PCI, bootable, have 4 SATA ports, have native support (no crap proprietary or manually compiled drivers), and possibly hot swap support. Any ideas?

There are plenty of PCI-X and PCIe controllers that I think would work but the use for this card is in a smaller 1U server that is quite cramped, hence the query for a standard PCI card.

Use the onBoard SATA-ports and do a software RAID1.
If you can use PCIe, get an Areca card (they also do PCI-X).
Otherwhise, I wouldn't bother, except for maybe 3Ware cards - but if you think about a card already, Areca should be better.

Rainer