Re: DJB's daemontools package

Al Sparks wrote:

There was a lot of rudeness and snarkyness on that list.  They
aren't kind to those they consider fools.

DJB has his acolytes, much like Linus Torvalds does.  I suspect that
DJB's personality reflects the overall tone of DJB related online
communities, much like Torvalds's personality affects groups like
this.  I have to say, DJB's software offerings are top rate.

Qmail??? That thing that would accept all messages from a dictionary attack and try to return bounce messages to each even if they all had the same undeliverable address? I ran that for a short time because it was included in a distribution and besides blocking the outbound queue with the bogus bounces, accepting those messages must have gotten them on some widely-sold list for spamming. Even after replacing the mailer with something that quickly rejected invalid local addresses, I kept getting about 50,000 spam attempts a day for years to those addresses.

And wasn't bright enough to send group messages to the same host destination as a single copy with multiple addresses, even back in the days when bandwidth was expensive and hard to get.

I don't see why anyone ever put up with it, especially when the license prohibited distributing copies that fixed the obvious flaws.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx