Re: OT: Migration from Evolution to Thunderbird (Thunderbird mbox files)

mouss wrote:
Lanny Marcus wrote:
If it's on imap, then forget about TB mbox files. the messages are on the server (TB can cache messages, but you are not supposed to know how it exactly does. so don't play this game).

I now have the mbox files on my hard drive. I think that is the default
with Evolution. I assume google backs up their gmail servers, but having a local copy, my own backup, is a plus.

just leave all mail on the server and use whatever client you want. that's one of the benefits of imap.

IMAP is what gmail recommends.

most people use POP3, in which case messages are downloaded and stored locally. Things are different with imap. the copies that the client holds are only for performances and you are not supposed to use them.

So far, Thunderbird seems to be stable and solid, no issues like with Evolution, so I will probably migrate my primary email account to Thunderbird, within the next few days.

Thanks you for your help!