Re: How to check for rootkit, troians etc in backed up files?

Mike McCarty wrote:
M. Fioretti wrote:
Hi,

there is a remote (VPS) Centos 4.2 server which *may* have been
compromised. Reinstalling everything from scratch isn't a problem, it
may even be an occasion to improve a few things, the question is
another.

I use rkhunter and chkrootkit. I run them regularly.

If you keep your machine clean, then your backups will be, too.

If you get compromised, then your backups since compromise are
suspect.

Mike
When I tried
 yum -y install chkrootkit.i386
I got...
No package chkrootkit.i386 available.

When I tried
 yum -y install rkhunter.noarch
I got...
No package rkhunter.noarch available.

These were the two names mentioned on my yum list, so I updated my yum list (yum -y list > yum.list), and I find that neither is present anymore.

Regards,
Chip Campbell