Re: detecting boot order

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Mark Belanger <mark_belanger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Given that I have a machine with possibly multiple disks, each of
which is bootable(has an MBR)....

Is there a command that will query the BIOS and tell me which disk
is the default boot disk.  BTW - this is x86.

The goal is to remotely reboot the workstation into the desired
disk(which contain different centos versions).

tia,

-Mark

Just a thought ...

Check-out kexec and possibly grub.exe.

What you can do is build a RAM disk with grub.exe as the
kernel and boot it with command line options that will boot
any of your other disks.  Kind of "neat" ....

I use it as part of anaconda / kickstart to re-flash the BIOS
by booting up a DOS system (when flashrom does not [yet]
work) and then boot back into the kickstart.

Unfortunately, kexec really only works in fairly recent
kernels, however.  So, that may be an issue for you.

  -rak-