Re: detecting boot order

William L. Maltby wrote:
On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 13:58 -0400, Mark Belanger wrote:
Given that I have a machine with possibly multiple disks, each of
which is bootable(has an MBR)....

Is there a command that will query the BIOS and tell me which disk
is the default boot disk.  BTW - this is x86.

The goal is to remotely reboot the workstation into the desired
disk(which contain different centos versions).
Having said all that, why do you want to do it that way? It's much
better (and easier for you to accomplish your stated goal) by setting up
a single (and a backup, *maybe* - there's a couple more tricks needed
for that if using LVM) boot partition that loads and handles the
differences you need to support. Make your boot partition(s) larger, if
needed, to support multiple versions of kernels, initrd, config.* and
system maps. The using the "default" command of grub you can point to a
boot configuration that will load different kernels, pass different
initrds, mount different roots and even load different OSs (see the
"chain" descriptions in "info grub").

Thanks for the info - very detailed.

I'm trying to find a one-size-fits-all method that is grub based.  We
have many different configurations here so I want something that
can work with any of them.

So far, the best thing I've seen is sfdisk -l which will show me
bootable partitions.  In a pinch, I could mount all the bootably parts
and scriptify the altering of grub.conf

-Mark

--
Mark Belanger